Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Multinodular Goiter with Normal Uptake Scan and Blood Tests

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

My doctor found a nodule on my thyroid and sent me in for an ultrasound.  The ultrasound found 6 nodules all under 1cm and that my thryroid was enlarged.  She sent me for a thyroid uptake and reran my blood tests for antiboides ft4 and such.  However, all tests came back normal and she said that the uptake scan was also normal.  I'm having the symptoms of both hypo and hyperthyroidism, back and forth.  Also, my throat is alway giving me problems and I can feel something in there all the time.  I'm having problems swallowing sometimes, and shortness of breath at others.  I'm couging all the time and never can seem to get rid of sinus infections.  My throat feels like it is on fire whenever I'm having problems with it.  Can you tell me is it possible to have normal tests and be having all these symptoms?  She is sending me to a surgeon to see about having it removed.  My concern is if my tests are showing normal is it okay to have it removed with it just causing me swallowing problems and the other issues?  I'm very confused right now.  Should I switch to an Endocrinologist or ENT doctor.  My doctor is a doctor of internal medicine.
Would first make sure these neck symptoms are due to the thyroid enlargement.  The small nodules do not usually require biopsy.  An ENT can help with this evaluation.  If you have normal thyroid function, would certainly want good evidence that the thyroid is causing problems before removing it and being dependent on replacement meds for the rest of your life.
hiya ihope you get a answer off this site soon because im having the same symtoms (symptoms) as you my bloods are also normal iv already seen a e n t now im waitin to see a thyroid specialist are you in uk i am america seems to be the place they are on the ball with thyroid good luck
Hi I am in US, but it is frustrating.  I probably should have went to an endo first.  I hope I get an answer also.  It is just baffling to me to have all the symptoms and go thru these expensive tests and still have no answers.  I'm wondering if I could have thyroiditis.  I wish you much luck too.  Hopefully we will get an answer soon.