Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Newbie - prescribed Levithoid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Newbie - prescribed Levithoid

I am a 50 year old woman who went to the doctor because of a enlargement of my neck.  I had blood tests run and a needle biopsy on a nodule in the thyroid (goiter).  It was benign, and my doctor suggested I go on suppression medication.  I have had symptons of hair loss, inablity to sleep, night sweats, etc, which I had attributed to menopause.  

My test results were:  TSH - 3.15, T3 - 106, T4 Free - 0.95; which I understand are in the normal range.  However, the TPO AB came back >6500 which is high.

My doctor is putting me on Levithoid (I haven't picked up my prescription yet so I don't know the dosage) and I am concerned as to what to expect.  

Can you tell me what types of changes I might expect to notice and can this suppression treatment reduce the size of the thyroid?  I am feeling well and only would like the size of the goiter (thyroid) to become smaller as it is quite noticeable.  I am not willing at this point to consider removal of the thyroid.  Thanks.
With the high antibodies (Hashimoto's) and TSH >3, starting levothroid is appropriate to prevent goiter growth.  It will often help to shrink the goiter in these cases as well.  It is important not to over-treat -- keeping the TSH in the low normal range is the goal here.