Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Nodule of left lobe thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Nodule of left lobe thyroid
Recently I was had ultra sound and they found a small subcentimeter calcified nodule on left lobe.  The size is 7 x 7 x 6 mm.  About how big is this in inches?  In the past I have had on the same left side 1st surgery- lefy submaxillary gland removed in 1992.  2nd surgery left submaxilart gland removed 1999.  (second surgery of submentl mass removed from left side/neck.)  3rd surgery left submandibular cyst:  gibrofatty tissue.  Mremoval of left sublingual gland and left lymph node. (2003)
I have lots if cacifications.  Kidneys are loaded.  Have had 11 stones passed and see more there!  Gall Bladder with stones that were removed. And breast with cacifications.  Taking caltrate/D and also two yrs ago SLE too.  
Seems like someone could tell me something why I keep producing so much calcium and how to slow it down?
Should i be concerned?  Thanks Sue Copeland from Suffolk, VA.
This is about 1/4 inch.  Some patients are prone to calcification for unclear reasons - much of this is inflammation/scar.  The thyroid nodule is small and can be monitored over time.   You have had a lot of salivary gland surgery -- may consider asking about Sjogren's (especially w/ SLE history).  The kidney stone issue brings up the question of blood calcium and parathyroid levels to make sure you don't have an overactive parathryoid.