Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Normal TSH high T3 and normal T4

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Normal TSH high T3 and normal T4

T4- 1.40
T3-5.7
TSH- 1.55

My result my GP says t3 is dangerously high and can cause cardiac issues and I have a reffereal to see an Endo for an U/S the thing is my GP was not the one who ran the tests rather my gyn did and she says "TSH is normal so t3 doesn't matter and nothing is wrong" I have heard from several people that the symptoms I have been suffering from are exactly the warning signs there endo gives when they up the dose of T3 and its to high. I have rapid pulse gets up to 141 just standing up,severe sweating but freezing cold all of the time,PVC's,dizziness,extreme fatigue and have had every heart test ran to rule out my heart being the cause and everything points to thyroid and now I am suffering from reactive hypoglycemia. Can tsh and t4 be normal and there still be a problem?
Tags: High T3
If this is a "total" T3 that is high with normal free T4 and TSH, then it is likely high binding proteins (usually due to estrogen, ie birth control pill, etc).  I assume you are taking no thyroid medications, supplements or herbs.  Would usually not treat this situation but recheck labs using different lab or different T3 assay test (ie, free if not already done) to verify this abnormality.  Rarely would this be a pituitary problem - if this is suspected, an alpha-subunit test can be helpful to look for the very rare TSH secreting pituitary problem.
Also I am on no medications I WAS taking lithium at the time my problems started but I stopped taking that almost 6 months ago and I am continually getting worse. So what could be going on?
That is Free T3 results. I do not take any medications at all.
Would repeat with a different lab.
If still high, then would need to consider pituitary issue - but this would still be very uncommon.
I just saw and Endo and he does not think my elevated free T3 is a problem because my TSH would be lowered in response and it is not, however he wants to do a trial with methimazole to see if it helps my cardiac issues but there is a risk it could make me hypothyroid. He ran lab to test for hyperparathyroid levels due to previous calcium lab results and it came back positive but now calcium is normal so he wants to run VitD,B12 and Iron labs to see why my parathyroid level is high. He said it would not explain my body thermostat being so "off" that my skin is so cold but sweaty and from everything I have read thyroid malfunction is blaringly obvious for that one but he is stumped! I just want to cry I feel like I am never going to get the treatment I need to feel normal again. I do not like being a medical mystery and I do not know what to do!