Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Nuclear Medicine thyroid scan...worried about radiation exposure
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nuclear Medicine thyroid scan...worried about radiation exposure

Hello, I had a scan in Nuc. Medicine whereby radioactive material was injected into my arm.  The tech claimed that there was less radiation than a plain x-ray.  Can you confirm or deny that the danger is truley less than that of a simple chest x-ray?

Also, I remember her telling me to "let her know" if when I urinated after the injected, if I dribbled any urine on my skin by accident, and I forgot to tell her that I did accidentily dribbled some urine on one of my hands and a bit down my pants leg that also came in contact with the skin of my leg.  It wasn't a LOT but it was definately noticeable.

Did she want me to "let her know" for any particular reason?  

I seek an honest, blunt answer here -

1) Am I even remotely possibly in any danger from the urine contacting my skin after that injection of radiation?  

2) Is the amount of radiation truley less dangerous than that of a plain x-ray (or was that less than a CT scan?)

Thank you very much, and keep up the good work.