Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Numbness and tingling (Pinched nerve?)

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Numbness and tingling (Pinched nerve?)

On 23/09/08 I started to get tingling and pins and needles running up my right hand and arm. By 14/10/08 the numbness and tingling started in the left side of my lips left leg and side of face and left side of foot and leg. All of the tingling and numbness stayed with me until I got diagnosed with an under active thyroid on  on 29/10/08 when  I started Levothyroxine (2 x 25mcg)

On 13/11/08 I got diagnosed with high blood pressure and started on 5mg Amlodipine. I couldnt tolerate these tablets and so I was started on 2.5 Lisinopril which I am still on.  After about six weeks on thyroxine it seemed to help a lot with the numbness. I still have a lot of numbness and tingling especially every morning when I wake. My right hand and arm always has pins and needles as if I have been sleeping on it the same with my left arm.  Throughout the day I still have tingling in my lips and left foot and leg also right arm. I was told by my Doctor on 30/01/09 that my Thyroid levels are now normal.

Do you think I may have a trapped nerve which is causing all this numbness? I have to have another blood test this Thurs 15/01/09 to get thyroid levels checked again.

I would welcome any information and would like to know if all the numbness and tingling is part of having an under active thyroid.
Pressure on the nerve would be a common cause of this.  Hypothyroidism can make the nerve more sensitive, so the symptoms can improve w/ correcting the hypothyroidism.   A neurologist can help pinpoint if there is a nerve compression.