Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Orbital Decompression Surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Orbital Decompression Surgery

I had an orbital decompression surgery performed by a very proficient ophthalmologist in CA about four weeks ago.  The surgery is to protect my optic nerve from being impaired.  Since surgery, I feel great pressure in my eyes, very congested, as if someone is squeezing my eyeballs all the time.  I had double vision for about two weeks after the surgery but now is gone.  My vision is still blurry though.  My TSI level is still very high but it came down from a 5.7 to 4.5.  I don't know whether this kind of discomfort is post surgery or is from the inflammation and whether other patients who had the same surgery have the same symtoms (symptoms) for such a long period of time.
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
You need to talk with your surgeon about these symptoms.  Some patients may have these troubles for a while, but it is important to see your surgeon for re-evaluation to see if this is post-op expected change or new inflammation.  

Did you mean TSI or TSH?  The TSH should be kept around 1.0 -- a high TSH is associated with more orbital swelling.
2 Comments
Blank
I have another CT scan of my orbit recently and no inflammatory changes or fluid collections are identified.  My TSI level is still high.  I still feel a lot of pressure as if there are tons of weight pressing against my eyes all the time.
Blank
A related discussion, Decompression Surgery was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now