Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
PTH & ionized calcium
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

PTH & ionized calcium

Dr. Lupo,
Thank you for taking the time to answer this question.  I have had a few high serum calcium tests (not crazy high, but above normal for six months) and my PTH is in the low 40s.  I have passed a few kidney stones.  My ionized calcium was normal.  I don't know if that means high normal or just normal -- if it is in the normal range, my doc considers it normal.  

If ionized calcium is related to PTH level, is hyperparathyroidism possible with normal ionized calcium?  How does that work?  I wonder if I should see an endocrinologist.

Regards.
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
You have primary hyperparathyroidism and need surgery.  The calcium will fluctuate in and out of the normal range.  The PTH is inappropriately normal in the face of high serum calcium and you have had kidney stones -- find a good surgeon to fix this problem.  Check out parathyroid.com to help further clarify this scenario.
3 Comments
Blank
Dr. Lupo's forum is on the left hand side of the forum page.  Post your question there.  If he doesn't answer, someone here might have an idea for you.
Blank
97628_tn?1204465633
You are in the correct place to  ask the expert. It even says "Expert Forum" at the top of this page, next to the word Thyroid.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now