Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
PTH & ionized calcium

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

PTH & ionized calcium
Dr. Lupo,
Thank you for taking the time to answer this question.  I have had a few high serum calcium tests (not crazy high, but above normal for six months) and my PTH is in the low 40s.  I have passed a few kidney stones.  My ionized calcium was normal.  I don't know if that means high normal or just normal -- if it is in the normal range, my doc considers it normal.  

If ionized calcium is related to PTH level, is hyperparathyroidism possible with normal ionized calcium?  How does that work?  I wonder if I should see an endocrinologist.

Regards.
You have primary hyperparathyroidism and need surgery.  The calcium will fluctuate in and out of the normal range.  The PTH is inappropriately normal in the face of high serum calcium and you have had kidney stones -- find a good surgeon to fix this problem.  Check out parathyroid.com to help further clarify this scenario.
Dr. Lupo's forum is on the left hand side of the forum page.  Post your question there.  If he doesn't answer, someone here might have an idea for you.
You are in the correct place to  ask the expert. It even says "Expert Forum" at the top of this page, next to the word Thyroid.