Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
PTH and calcium fluctuation

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

PTH and calcium fluctuation
Hi Dr. Lupo, what is considered normal fluctuation in calcium and PTH?  I'm in my early 30s and have severe Osteoporosis (likely due to a past medical condition).  My PTH was previously in the 70s and at last check dropped to 45.  My calcium levels range from 9.3 to 10.1 (vitamin D is stable at 40 on supplements).  Is this a normal fluctuation?
This appears to be within the normal fluctuation range.
If the PTH was high before the Vit D, then its normalization is b/c of vitamin D.
If Ca levels are consistently >10, that is not usually normal.