Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Panic Attacks

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Panic Attacks

I just got diagnosed as my Thyroid being low 2 and a half weeks ago.  What made me beg my doctor to do more blood tests is what I thought was several panic attacks that actually felt like something beneath me was falling out.  I have had this problem for the past 8 years.  I have had to sleep like a maniac to keep the attacks away.  If I was the slightest bit overtired, I would have to lay down or suffer the consequences. Could my thyroid problems have been the route of supposed Panic Disorder?  
Treva
It may be related --- treat the thyroid disease and see you do -- often panic/anxiety/depression can be aggravated by mild thyroid disease and even entirely caused by severe thyroid disease.
I also have panic attacks although only when realy stressed out like knowing i have to have this surgery on friday . i didnt ask if there where other options for me instead of surgery and i also was wondering if there was something they could give me before surgery to calm my nerves that wont heart my heart. ie: haveing tyroid surgery for neoplasm and heart condition is mvp with arrythmias . they just started treating me last week with tenonol for the arrythmias. as per previous email on forum.kg
Thank you! Thank you! My doctor told me that a low thyroid and stress don't have anything to do with each other. I'm learning lot's!
I had my thyroid removed 2 years ago and experience my first panic attack in November 2005, it is a very frightening experience.  My tests show that I was hypo around that time and I was experiencing them on a daily basis, sometimes up to 3 incidents every day.  I am very strong mentally, and have gone through some though times, however never experienced a panic attack, it is almost as though your body is moving is a direction that you don't know and have no control over.  My thyroid meds was increased and although the attacks are no longer happeing I have many other very strange symptoms.  You may be hypo, thyroid hormones has a lot to do with balancing the functions within the brain, I know that the many different symptoms experienced in various parts of my body are all related to the thyroid hormone balancing.  Good luck
I was always a little more anxious anyway....however when i got diagnosed with hyperthyroid last April it took axiety to a whole new level. It is crazy. For a while i didn't think I was going to survive it. I am better now (a little). Off my thyroid meds and taking no anti-anxiety meds either. However,  I still suffer from vertigo/dizziness(which i still wonder if really is a symptom of anxiety or something else alltogether) headaches, sinus infections constantly, feelings like i am going to pass out or die or have a heart attack or have a seisure or just fall unconscious. Off balance feelings, rubbery legs, feeling like my body is falling or something. WEIRD i know. I had an mri, ekg's, holter monitor for 24 hours and countless blood tests all NEG. I just can't ge this overwhelming fear that something is going to happen to me out of my head. I just do not feel right. Who know. maybe it is all in my head.
good luck