Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Papillary thyroid Cancer & L-Thyroxine

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Papillary thyroid Cancer & L-Thyroxine

I had a Total Thyroidectomy, my lymph nodes too were removed on 1.7.2011 as I was found to have Papillary Throid Cncer 6cm. I am 68 years old. I am now on lThyroxine 100mg per day plus Calcium 200mg. per day
I have to go for my first review to check on T3/T4/Cal/TSH/TGB on 4.8.2011. Can my cancer be cured with the taking of Thyroxine without having to go for the 1-131 Treatment. Please advice as I understand that the l-131 Iodine treatment causes a lot of problems later on. Is it true Doctor.Please advice.
Based on the size of the tumor (6cm) and your age, you should have RAI to decrease the risk of relapse and metastasis.  In this case, the benefits outweigh the small risks.
Dear Doctor Mark - After having the RAI Treatment, would I completely cured. Is there any reservation in my food intake after the above treatment. So physician say that I may have only a life-span of another 3-5 years due to this cancer, even after the treatment. Is it true?
Please advice as to whom should I see next to clear the air and doubts.
Can I postpone the RAI Treatment to another 2 months from 4.8.2011 to 4.11.2011 and in the meantime carry on taking my L-Thyroxine medication. Will it have any adverse effect due to the postponement.
Thank you Doctor.
RAI would decrease the risk of recurrence.
3-5 years would be very atypical - most patients have a 90% or more 10 year survival.
Usually we do RAI 6-12 weeks after surgery, having stopped L-T4 for about 3 weeks prior to the dose.  I don't know enough details on your case to comment on risks of delay in treatment.  You should discuss this with your treating MD.  
Best to have this coordinated by a thyroid cancer treatment center -- either an endocrinologist who focuses on thyroid or a nuclear medicine (or radiation oncology) center.