Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Parathyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Parathyroid

For years I have been treated for what one doctor called thyroid nodules.  He even took a biopsy a few years ago which came back normal.  I changed doctors recently and he ran a ultrasound, the results came back confusing.  There was no thyroid nodules and no sign that there ever was any.  They found that the right side of my parathyroid was enlarged.  Blood test show that my thyroid function is normal and my calcium levels are normal.  The doctor said he would like to watch this for awhile.  He also suggested that I take calcium once a day.  Why would I need calcium and is an enlarged parathyroid a problem?  Also, I get a pain in my thyroid area from time to time, I take Advil and the pain stops after a few days, is this pain related to the parathyroid.