Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Partial Thyroidectomy - 6 weeks after - how does everyone else feel?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Partial Thyroidectomy - 6 weeks after - how does everyone else feel?

I had a partial thyroidectomy six weeks ago. The FNA had revealed papillary carcinoma in a 2.5cm solitary nodule, confirmed by the post surgery results. (yes, I took the controversial approach, as the doctor recommended, of only giving up half of my thyroid - mid 20's, no children yet, chose fertility over RAI Therapy).

I went to see the doc two weeks post op, was feeling great at the time. He told me my follow up would be in 6 months, we'd do a thyroid level check then. But, he said if my hypo was so bad that my hair was falling out to come back and we'd test it sooner. So, I have no idea what my levels are, and am not taking any thyroid meds.

So, at 6 weeks, my hair isn't falling out, but I feel horrible. I'm exhaused, achey (achy), emotional, have headaches, maybe even a bit depressed, and do nothing but go to work and sit on the couch. Should I be giving my left lobe more time to get its butt in gear before I go running back to the doctor? Could I still just be recovering from the surgery? Could it just be a vicious cycle of lack of exercise mixed with couch potatoism?

The yucky looking incision didn't bother me the first few weeks, now its looking much better, and I feel worse about it, i think its just the emotional/depression thing coming into play. Did anyone else experience that?

How long before my neck isn't sore anymore?

Thanks!

Carla