Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Partial Thyroidectomy Recommended

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Partial Thyroidectomy Recommended

I saw my endo today for the results of my third US in a year.  I have a large solitary nodule on the right side of my thyroid that is benign.  I discovered it in Jan. 2012, it was 3.3cm, benign on FNA and in July 2012 it was 4.1 and benign on repeat FNA.  Now, the size is stable at 4.1 (I wouldn't submit to another FNA and he wouldn't order one since two were benign already)  but over the last few months I've developed mild compressive symptoms, such as mild occasional tenderness around the nodule (which is prominent and visible), occasional issues with food being a difficult to get down, more snoring than I ever had before.  I don't have any thyroid function disorders so I am not posting labs, I don't even have symptoms of them.  When I asked the dr. if he would have it out if it were him, he said yes, he would.  Opinions?  Thoughts?  I have the numbers to 2 great surgeons already so I know to make sure they do a lot of thyroid surgeries.
With a nodule greater than 4cm with compressive symptoms, resection is appropriate.  There is also some concern that FNA may be less accurate for large nodules, but two FNAs that are benign would make a false-negative unlikely.
Thank you, I am going to go ahead with the surgery and get it over with.  I appreciate the response.