Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Please Help!! Post Thyroid Cancer Issues

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I am hoping someone can help me as I am having new symptoms that are driving me crazy and I am not sure it has to do with my thyroid or not. Diagnosed with Hasimotos and eventually papillary thyroid cancer in 11/11, had a total thyroidectomy in 12/12. Started out on 175 mcg of levo, labs at first draw were 2 mths post surgery
TSH- <0.01   Free T4 2.5 so was dropped to 150 mcg and levels 4 mths post surgery were TSH <0.01 Free T4 1.80.  Dropped to 137 mcg and 6mth labs were <0.01  Free T4  1.64.  I just had labs done again last week and TSH was 0.02  and Free T4 was 1.82.  I also want to mention that I have the antibodies that make tumor marker unreliable, but also just had my 6 mnth ultrasound which was all good. Anyway I have not ever had any huge health issues due to these fluctuations except for the  occassional jitters and anxious feelings. However this last week I have been feeling like I am having heart palpatations, very anxious, very weak and fatigued and dizzy. My Endo suggested that I stop taking my levo for 3 days to see if that helps. My questions is why would my levels be bothering me now?? My numbers seem to be in the same general area this whole time. She said something about my Free T4 rising could cause this?? Just wondering if anyone know anyone about this?? Could I be having symptoms of hyperthyroidism 6 mths after surgery, could it take that long for me to feel it?? Any suggestions would be appreciated cause this is very uncomfortable. So anxious I can't lay down but also so dizzy and weak that that is all I want to do. Speaking of that it seems like some of those symptoms would suggest hyperthyroidism and some maybe hypothyroidism so that is confusing too!
Thanks so much, Kelly
Sometimes symptoms don't always match with the lab trend/timeline.  Sounds like it may be too much med currently but you should see your endocrinologist to confirm that you are on the right dose and if the symptoms are related to the medication.
So appreciate all your feedback so I have another question for you?? My Dr. has now prescribed Propranolol a Beta Blocker to help with some of the symptoms I have been having?? Of course after filling presc, I read that one of the major side effects is weight gain which I am not willing to deal with, keeping weight off has been a struggle without any help!! Do any of you have any experience or knowledge of this Beta Blocker or what might be better??