Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Possible Primary Hyperparathyroidism?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Possible Primary Hyperparathyroidism?
Hi. I have all my Doctors stumped.  I have a PTH level of 37 which is considered normal.  My blood calcium level is usually 10.1.  I have had it go up to 10.4 in the past but for the past 2 years its a steady 10.1.  My vitamin d-hydroxy level is 43.6 ng/ml which I was told is normal.  My Vitamin D 1,25 di-oh level is 205.5 pg/ml which is extremely high.  I have been to a couple different Doctors and they all have been on the fence about saying I have a parathyroid problem.  Has anyone else had similar test results and if so what was the final outcome?  All this started because I seem to have chronic kidney stones.  Thanks for any input!!
Sounds like probable primary hyperparathyroidism in the face of kidney stones (would test 24h urine calcium to help clarify diagnosis).