Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Question about overactive thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Question about overactive thyroid

So according to my bloodwork my TSH is 1.4(normal), and according to my thyroid nuclear scan/RAI Uptake I have an overactive thyroid (37.4%). This is what i dont understand...I am the opposite of hyper. I have NO energy, i have been so lethargic and tired my entire life, and still am. I am always spacy and cant focus and i could sleep all day long. Is there some type of adrenal or hormonal irregularity this could be? I have always been sluggish, tired, unmotivated & now its worse than ever..I'm so weak. When i was younger i always craved lots of salt(idk if this is a dumb question but could that have to do with iodine deficiency?). & I was always spacing off with this fixed stare. Nothing really excited me. Could being HYPERthyroid cause these symptoms? or is it at all possible that im actually HYPO even tho my results say otherwise? This is sooo frustrating!
97953_tn?1193367871
The TSH reflects thyroid function - and 1.4 is normal.  The increased uptake on I-123 imaging is often MIS-interpreted by radiology as "hyper" -- they should only mention increased uptake (which can be seen in hypo, hyper or normal and can vary w/ dietary iodine intake).  Would look into other causes of symptoms besides thyroid.
3 Comments
Blank
Oh and i also have LOW blood pressure!
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
So, bloodwork done was TSH and then uptake was ordered?

How about requesting a further work up with your doctor on autoimmune
thyroid blood labs like TRH, TPOab, TSI and TgAb?

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now