Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Question on hypothyroidism for Dr Lupo

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Question on hypothyroidism for Dr Lupo
Going back to your response to the lady who asked about alterations in alcohol metabolism after partial or total thyroidectomy, is it true that if you are suffering from hypothyroidism that it is possible that alcohol metabolism could be slowed/ altered? I would appreciate any feed back you can offer.

No clear data for/against it that I am aware of but if one has untreated hypothyroidism the effects of alcohol could be exaggerated.
What would cause the exaggeration of the effects of alcohol? Does the slowed metabolism cause it to stay in your system longer instead of being excreted from the body as it would be a person with normal thyroid function?