Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
RA Screen & Thyroid Peroxid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

RA Screen & Thyroid Peroxid
I am hypothyroid and my body always feels like I have been beat by a stick.  Everytime I go to the dr. they say I have inflammation.  I had it in my lower back, in my neck, and in my feet & knees.  Was sent to an ENT for my neck and ear (ear was hurting terribley) and he said it was just inflammation from my thyroid gland.  My podietrist had put me on Traumeel and all natural med for inflammation.  Had been on for about 3 months and my feet were better.  The ENT said he was going to run an RA screen and I ask would the inflammatory drug interfer with it and he said no.  If the inflammatory drug doesn't lower inflammation why should you take it.  My results came by for RA screen at 8.1 and my thyroid peroxid at 15.  He said everything was ok, but mean while what do I do about all the pain caused from the inflammation.  Is there any other tests that could be done?  No one has ever checked my free T3 and T4.  They say there is not any need.  Do you have any suggestions that I could ask my dr. about?
Would consider seeing a rheumatologist - a specialist in inflammation and joint/muscle pain.  

For hypothyroid, goal TSH is 0.5-2.5.  Sometimes combination T4/T3 therapy helps with the muscle pain.  Otherwise not much to do for thyroid except evaluate with ultrasound for size, inflammation, nodules.