Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
RAI and saliva glands
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

RAI and saliva glands

I have had,in total, four RAI treatments due to thyroid cancer.  During the treatment my saliva glands always hurt and they tell me to suck on lemon drops because the RAI attacks the saliva glands as well. About 5 months after my most recent treatment, my saliva glands swelled up considerably.  It lasted for three days.  I contacted my endo and he sent me to the ENT.  The ENT explained that, while this is not common with RAI, it is a side effect.  He suggested over hydrating myself, sour candy and anti-inflamitory medicine. They are swollen again and it will not go away.  I have a constant dry mouth and it is hard to eat food becuase, 1. my glands swell up and it hurts and 2. I have no saliva in my mouth.  Do you have any suggestions as to where I go from here?? Please help