Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
RAI and saliva glands

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

RAI and saliva glands

I have had,in total, four RAI treatments due to thyroid cancer.  During the treatment my saliva glands always hurt and they tell me to suck on lemon drops because the RAI attacks the saliva glands as well. About 5 months after my most recent treatment, my saliva glands swelled up considerably.  It lasted for three days.  I contacted my endo and he sent me to the ENT.  The ENT explained that, while this is not common with RAI, it is a side effect.  He suggested over hydrating myself, sour candy and anti-inflamitory medicine. They are swollen again and it will not go away.  I have a constant dry mouth and it is hard to eat food becuase, 1. my glands swell up and it hurts and 2. I have no saliva in my mouth.  Do you have any suggestions as to where I go from here?? Please help
This does happen, especially after so much RAI.  Would stay hydrated and used sour-candies.  Also a warm compress (ie warm handcloth) applied to inflamed areas (on the outside-cheek area) may help.  Sometimes the salivary duct will get infected and require antibiotics.

If this becomes a chronic problem, pilocarpine (Salagen) or cevimeline (Evoxac) are medications used to stimulate saliva production.
I have the same problem. First time it happend  1 day next after RAI treatment,Second time 4 month after-- I even had to go to ER Because I thought it is lymph  nodes ( they gave me anibiotics)  and now  again.  It is been 7 days now ..I went to ENT on Friday. He Said that I have to live with that and it is not treateble..  O my god.. It so painfull..
Where do you live? When did you have RAI?Was it for thyca?
I live in Philadelphia, PA
A related discussion, To sans was started.