Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
RAI treatment for hyperactive nodule

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

RAI treatment for hyperactive nodule

I have a 3.5 x 1.5 nodule that after uptake scans, was determined as active and creating the hyperactive readings of my TSH bloodwork (reads I think less than 5).  I just had RAI treatment (dosage was 23).  My period started the day before.  Normally it lasts about 5 days but wondering if the treatment caused it to stop abruptly.  It was heavy day of treatment and next day....and then completely stopped (so three days in total).  No other side effects of treatment but today (3 days after treatment), have upset stomach (feels like what I have just before period comes) and this doesn't make sense to me.  Is this normal?

Also, thyroid is only mildy hyperactive but experience insomnia, restlessness, night sweats, fast and sometimes hard heart beat (avg 100/min for last 6mths - my norm is 80/min) and heat intolerance.  Also, could size of this nodule be causing my chronic cough of 5+ years???  I choke on nothing quite a lot as well.

Dr. says this treatment should be curative and very low risk of needing pills the rest of my life as problem is all in nodule and not thyroid itself and thus RAI treatment should go to area of most activity first, thus reducing the risk to the thyroid.  Is this correct?
Menstrual irregularity can be seen after RAI for 2-3 months.  

RAI should cure this "toxic" nodule with about a 50% (or less) chance of not needing meds for underactive thyroid (hypo).

A nodule can cause cough, decreasing the size of the nodule w/ RAI may help.