Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
RAI treatment

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

RAI treatment

I had RAI treatment for thyroid cancer on Sept 7th. The side effects have been unreal, I have been trying to figure out whats going on with my tongue It is dark down both sides and the discoloration is under the skin. Also I now get bloody noses from everything drying up, and because of this I am have anxiety attacks I dont feel like I am getting enough air in my lungs. How much longer before the back and arm pain go away? I am a hair salon owner and I had to go back to work on Sept 14 so it has been difficult. It seems to get better then get worse again.
These symptoms are not typical post RAI -- see the doctor who gave you the treatment.  Common (about 10-20% of patients) symtoms (symptoms) are nausea, vomitting, neck pain, salivary gland irritation, headache and dry eyes.  Nose bleeds, dark tongue, arm/back pain are unusual and need evaluation.
Wow! You're definitely an unusual case. I had RAI in April and I didn't experience anything afterwards. Did you speak to the doctor regarding all these issues you're having? Try to hang in there and good luck.
I had my RAI on Sept 7th also.  On Day 4 and 5, I had jaw pain and a slight swelling of my face.  After that, no pain, but for the past 2 weeks I had a salty taste in my mouth; almost like I ate a spoon of salt.  Now that seems to be getting better.  Now my only problem is that I'm very tired but I think that's because I didn't get my synthroid dosage regulated yet.  I hope you feel better soon.
Don't let the doctor tell you that you are crazy.  Make them help you.  I had RAI in April and ever since then (starting that night) I have chronic diarrhea.  No matter what I eat I get it.  Everyday.  The doctor told me that it is not related, but how can it not be?  I also have major brain fog and my TSH is less than .03!
Hawkfan,

You are absolutely right! I had RAI in 2002, and have a host of symptoms I NEVER had before, but the doctors keep telling me it's not related to my thyroid or the RAI. I could never gain a pound, no matter what I ate, even after early menopause his at age 44. But when they killed my thyroid, I gained 50 lb in 3 weeks! But that had nothing to do with thyroid/RAI, right? My doctor LAUGHED at me because I had gained weight! And I was eating very little, at that point.....Grrrrr!

For me, Armour has made the difference. I'm still slightly heavier than I want to be, but I can stay awake all day, and work productively, and still have energy to do things in the evening.
A related discussion, jaw swelling was started.
A related discussion, Dry, bleeding nose after RAI treatment was started.