Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Recently switched from Synthroid to Armour

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I recently switched from Synthroid to Armour and would like to know if I am taking enough Armour.
I have been on 0.175 Synthroid for 13 years. My doctor recently switched me down to 0.15 because my TSH
was 0.05.  I had very bad headaches on this dose. Felt dizzy, like I was going to pass out all the time.  I requested my doctor put me on Armour so he said that we could try it. He wanted me to be equivalent to 0.175 again so he
put me on 2 grains a day. Can you tell me if this is accurate.  Also, how long does it take for Armour to enter your
system and start working?

It may be about right, or a little high --takes 3-6 weeks to see effect and total 6 weeks to recheck labs.  I don't use a lot of armour.  If 2 grains/day - would consider splitting to 1 grain in am and one in early afternoon to avoid T3 spikings.
I am an Armour patient and in my opinion after I swtiched I found the T4 conversion of the Synthroid into T3 was still in my system along with taking the immediate T3 in Armour for about 2 weeks.

I felt a bit jittery for those weeks and it is common to develop a headache when introducing Armour and adjusting dosages. These also last about two weeks.

With the new meds I think you should have your TSH Free T3 and FREE T4 checked after a three week trail. By then T4 Synthroid should be out of your system and Armour will show your new labs.

Usually increases are needed in Armour patients and thyroid patients who take Armour benefit greatly by splitting their dosages throughout the day,
Thank you very much for your answer to my question.  I appreciate it. It has been an unusual road since my TSH is showing low but I do not show hyper symptoms.  Have you ever had a patient have a low TSH that had been on a high dose for a long period of time and had trouble coming off of the dose?? They keep on wanting to try to get my TSH in the normal range but every time I get cut from 0.175 down. I have gone from 0.175 to 0.1 and 0.5 cytomel and I thought I was going to die with brain fog, headaches, shaking, itching. It was horrible. Then I tried to cut down slowly, got to 0.15 and then started getting bad headaches, dazed, confused again. Have you ever noticed this in any of your patients?