Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Removal of thryoid because of mass and side effects ***HELP***

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

i had an ultrasound done and they found a mass on the left thyroid.  It is about 3 cm and since i have a family history of thyroid problems they are going in and taking the whole left side, the mass and half of the right side they will then see if it is cancerous.  All of my blood work came back fine but i could see the swelling and feel like i was being choked.  I have gained an unbelievable amount of weight that won't come off, i have swelling, choking a great deal, my throat is sore and feels like something is hitting against my windpipe.  Does anyone who had surgery find all of these to go away and how long were you in the hospital?  I just want to get back to my normal self and be able to walk up stairs and not choke on air and food, even drinking water i choke and i keep having to clear my throat.  Also does the weight come off once this is done, i am so uncomfortable.
Can someone help me with info?
I would like to say all the symptoms go away but mine have not. I still feel I have something stuck in my throat which a doctor told me I would get use to and get out of breath. Mind my breathing is not as bad as prior to my op when even bending over gave me extreme difficulty.  It is also only 7mths since my last op so really still in the healing proceess. My stay in hospital was 4 days and my scar is fading nicely
Lynda
About 5 Year ago I discovered a large bump on the left side of my neck. I was 6mos pregnant with my 3 child went to the doctor, they gave me an ultra sound and put me on some medication. The Dr. said my blood test were maybe a little on the low side but was hard to tell because I was pregnant. Went back to Dr. blood test normal stop medication, And just kinda forgot about it. Now because of my Grandmother unrelentless nagging about it . Due to her having to be removed (substernal)I went back to the docter again blood work normal THS 1.25 ultra sound thyroid mass,Did not ask size but can tell its gotten bigger-symptoms include Depression(also runs in family). alittle over weight but I can lose it if I apply myself, dry skin , fatige ,bruiseing very easily lately for no apparent reason, joint and bone pain, diarreh in the morning. anyway I go Mon for a radioactive Iodine scan. can anyone tell me what the likelyhood of surgery is ? also I can sleep on my back because I wake up shortly after falling asleep felling like I stop breathing. sorry! so long
A related discussion, it does get better was started.
A related discussion, Partial Thyroidectomy was started.
A related discussion, Underactive Thyroid after surgery was started.