Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Scared and Confused

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Scared and Confused
I'm a 17 year old female (very active in sports, 5'5'' 147lbs) and I have been experiencing really abnormal things lately. When I looked it up, the two conditions that keep coming up are Hyperthyroidism and Hypoglycemia. Every since I was younger I've always been tolerant of the cold. I could go outside in 40 degree weather wearing a sweatshirt and pants and not feel cold. When others are comfortable or even cold, I'm hot and sweaty. I constantly overheat, especially during exercise, which makes me extremely nauseous. Even though I feel hot, my friends say my skin is clammy. I'm always tired yet I find it hard to fall asleep, or if I wake up in the middle of the night, I have problems going back to sleep. The only way to stop the tiredness is to eat food that is unhealthy (fruit snacks, lifesavers, gum, any sugary substance). I get really dizzy and my hands shake sometimes when I don't eat a lot. One of the weirdest things is that the area around my mouth sometimes falls asleep (tingling, pins and needles), as do my fingers and hands. My mom thinks that I have an anxiety disorder because I'm always nervous, but I have reasons to be (school work +college apps and stuff+ sports etc) so I don't think the nervousness is really relevant.
What can be wrong with me and what can I do to make these symptoms go away? Thanks so much.
This could be nerves, reactive hypoglycemia or other cause - would see a general doctor to make sure it is not a medical/physical problem.