Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Scared to Death ! Thyroid Cancer ?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Scared to Death ! Thyroid Cancer ?

Hi, I have Panic Disorder and OCD. I was told at the E.R. when they did a CT on my lungs that they were obligated to let me know I had a nodule on my Thyroid and needed to follow up on it.

I have been having a burning sensation and pian i my left ear for a year and 3 Dr.s blew it off and said there was no fluid etc...   It has been 4 months or more since I learned about the nodule and I also get a lot of pain in the front of my neck !

I have only Medicare and I am Terrified that I might have Thyroid Cancer ? I know I need to have it checked out , however I am too scared and I have to go to a Govt. Hospital where you see Residents, Not Dr.s !!!

This hospital is the type that has no Compassion and if turned out to be Cancer, they would just Blurt it out in a matter of fact way, been there , done that with them, they do not care that you are scared and they will Not give you hope ! they say "it is what it is" !

I am also fighting for Custody of my 2 year old Granchild, I Can't chance being DXed with ANY Cancer untill this is over as my husband and I are already Disabled , I am afraid the Judge would say, "you cannot care for a 2 year old because .........

I looked up the symptoms and neck and ear pain are the symptoms ! YIKES !!!!

I am so Scared !!!  Please can anyone give me anything Positive ??? My Panic is out of Control, and Yes I take medication for it, but obviously it does'nt do a very good job !!!

Thank You So Much for Any Hope or anything Positive You might be able to throw my way.

I also have been having some jaw pain on the same side ??? UGH !!!!
When we see thyroid nodules incidentally on CT scans or other x-rays, the next step is an ultrasound to further characterize the nodule.  In most cases they do not cause pain in the ear unss there is thyroid inflammation or significant enlargement.  Typically these are benign with only 5 or 10% being cancer.  If ultrasound confirms that there is a nodule then biopsy would be recommended in most cases.
Hi there,

We both live in Florida I see. I am waiting to find out if I have thyroid cancer too. I am 32 years old and have had the nodule at least 5 years. I just found out yesterday that the type of cells they just needle biopsied could be malignant or benign.

As for you, don't let those uncaring medical professionals keep you from getting a diagnosis and treatment. Go ASAP to get to the bottom of what you have. You know they are jerks so expect that but get the help you need.  Try your best to not worry and stay neutral. Know that you must hope for the best but prepare for the worst. As far as your grandchild and custody. You are not dead, and have a husband who is alive too. So you case will not seem as bleek as you fear.

ind over matter try to keep thinking too. You know you have panic disorder and OCD tendencies so you will have a harder time keeping calm but try to fight your mind. Most importantly, seek medical treatment please.

Bless you!!!!!