Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Seizures but aware and virbual

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Seizures but aware and virbual

My son-in-law has been have seizures sometimes 4 or 5 a day in the onset of his problem which started 4 months ago. He had a EEG and showed that the seizures were not effecting the brain so the medical doctor says they are stress related. He has been put on several medications for nerves and anxiety attacks. He also has chest pains before the seizures. He has also been treated for a heart value problem. Before the attach starts he feels them coming. He goes into a seizure of jurking. He is toldly soaking wet after and so tired he must sleep. He can talk and answer questions and is aware. The length of the seizures varies. He is constantly nauseaed. He is 25 years old and had just lost his job then these seizures started. He's very tired all the time. Before this came on he was very active, almost to active. Never still. Now he lays around all the time. If he gets to tired he has a seizure. His moods go up and down. He has problems sleeping. Since taking all the medications his seizures have slowed down to 3 to 4 (sometimes more) a week. He still has no engery. The medical doctor has not done any blood work. From reading information on thyroid problems it just seemed to fit his situation. Would like to know you response.  SQ
Would test thyroid blood levels to see if this may be contributing to his situation.
My son-in-law's GP feels that after the EEG that his seizures are diffently pseudo-seizures and thinks just finding the right medications will fix the problem. He also wanted him to see a psycholist and he has but not really helping. He has him on anxiety meds and paxil. Since he lost his job he has no insurance and I feel the GP just doesn't want to run any extra test (like blood work, which to me would have been the first ojective). Do you feel he should insist on this blood work up? He gets upset in speaking up so doesn't say anything. He even has these seizures in his sleep. Is this common with pseudo-seizures? I just feel the GP has not found the real problem. He just isn't getting any better. What is you advise? Thanks for you assistance.
I am not a seizure expert (neurologist) - perhaps you should repost in a different forum

http://www.medhelp.org/forum_disclaimers/show/135