Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Should I get the ultrasound?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Should I get the ultrasound?
Hello, I have been having symptoms that are related to hypothyroid at least according to a few different doctors that I have seen recently.
However, they change their story completely when they get my blood results back from the lab and they say that there is nothing to worry about. My newest doctor insists that I should get an ultrasound to verify if there are any nodules.

My physical symptoms include rapid thinning of the hair(not related to male pattern hair loss according to a dermatologist) poor libido(I'm 25 and in good shape) genitalia feels 'lighter' than it used to.
I've also had major problems with trying to make critical decisions lately, waffling constantly and having mood swings all of the time.
Ultrasound would not help sort out the cause of these symptoms.  Nodules would not cause these symptoms (in absence of lab abnormalities).  Ultrasound would be indicated if there is a clinical concern for a nodule (ie, palpable abnormality, etc).