Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Should I supplement T3?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Should I supplement T3?

I am interested in supplementing T3 to my current 50mcg Synthroid dosage. Although Synthroid has lessened the intensity of most of my symptoms of hypothyroidism, I still have the following complaints: fatigue, decreased libido, constipation, brain fog, depression, inability to concentrate.

I recently tried increasing my dosage of Synthroid to 75mcg to alleviate some of these symptoms. Despite the indication of "normal" levels on 75mcg Synthroid (see results below), the dosage increase made me have symptoms like those of hyperthyroidism--anxiety, rapid heartbeat, chest pain, shortness of breath, etc. So, I went back down on my dosage to 50mcg Synthroid.  

TSH 1.480 (Ref. 0.350-5.5)
Free T4 1.11 (Ref. 0.73-2.3)
Free T3 1.82 (Ref. 1.9-5.0) *Low*

I am worried about disrupting my TSH levels and feeling the effects of hyperthyroidism again -- that was no fun! But, I am interested in trying T3. Based on my lab results, do you think I would benefit from T3 supplementation? And, if so, how would you advise dosing it to keep my TSH from going too low?

Thanks!
There is no lab test that predicts who is a T3 candidate.  The medical literature suggests that T3 in addition to T4 is not necessarily helpful.  That being said, I have seen benefit in patients with brain fog and fatigue, so I sometimes will add Cytomel.  In this case, would consider taking a dose of 1/2 of a 5mcg of cytomel once in the am and again at around 2 pm and take 1/2 of an 88mcg synthroid each am -- this would be the equivalent of 64mcg of synthroid/day.  Remember, only your doctor can determine if this is the right course of action for you.
Adding T3 can help. Also, have you been tested for Thyroid Antibodies called TPO? If you have high antibody count you have Hashimotos which would make sense having your symptoms even with good lab results. I am sure if you decrease your dosage back to 50 your hyper symotoms will disaper. Good luck!
for what it's worth, i was massively depressed on synthroid only.  i had to take
new england journal of medicine feb/99 study to doctor to support my asking for cytomel aka T3, and she agreed to my amazement.  it took about 3 months on cytomel, and whammo, i felt way way better, depression lifted.
FB
Please take the doctor's advice.  Again, armchair experts are suggesting you self change your meds.  Amazing!  Where do you people get off?

Save your comments for the regular forum, and let the MD give advice on here.  Your "expertise" is dangerous.  Who are you trying to kid?