Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Should my husband have surgery?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should my husband have surgery?

Past two years husband has been dealing with a micro andenoma on his pituitary. The docs told him it is non-secreting.  They are treating him with bi monthly shots of testosterone. But basically, the quality of his life is not good. At 59 yrs old, he has low T, headache, high blood pressure, horrible memory & confusion, extreme (debilitating)  fatigue, male breasts, low sex drive, impotence and generally feels sick all over. Prior to the tumor he was just the opposite of this! They have given him 2 MRIs with dye injected first, and say the tumor has not changed and that they don't know why he has all these symptoms-but they continue to insist that these symptoms are not tumor related.
Should he have surgery to remove this small tumor? I am worried about the side effects of the Testosterone shots as well. I would just like the quality of his life to improve. He is an otherwise very young and intelligent guy. Yes we belong to a large HMO, so I don't trust what they are telling us.
Tags: pituitary tumor worries
97953_tn?1193367871
This is a thyroid forum and I do not see pituitary patients anymore, that being said, 5-10% of us have micro-adenomas and many of these are non-functional so in this case it may be unrelated to the low T and surgery for the pituitary may cause more harm than good.  A second opinion from another endocrinologist may be in order to help sort this out (even if that opin is outside your HMO system).
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now