Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Side effects from biopsy

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Side effects from biopsy

I have had a biopsy done over a week ago (came back benign) for a cyst I had there which was mainly fluid with a small solid component.  They aspirated the fluid component. For about 3 weeks though i have had a sore throat and ear pain along with sinusitis symptoms (which I regularly get).  However my throat is sore, scratchy and croaky and sometimes my voice hoarse and my ears are extremely painful.  I went back to the Dr, she said it was not related to my thyroid and they couldn't find an infection.  I have recently been on a plane and often I get a virus or sinus problems from this.  Do you think this is related to the procedure or the thyroid nodule itself? I'm a bit worried.  Thank you.
sinus disease is not related to thyroid or the FNA.  Ear pain can be "referred" pain due to stimulation of a nerve near the thyroid -- this is usually transient (1-2days if at all) after FNA, but in cases of thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid) can last several weks.
I have had two separate biopsies done recently, one in August and one on 9/20/06.  My throat was sore a little after the first one, but after the second one I am having a lot of pain also. My throat is sore and I am having acid reflux I am feeling like I have to burp all the time. I have a feeling of fullness in my throat and chest and a very sore, burning throat and tongue. It also hurts up the side of my neck and under my ears. This is NEW since the 2nd day ater the biopsy.  I know somehow it is related to the procedure /or to the numbing medication, or to swelling.  Unfortunately when I tell my Dr. these things he says no one else has these problems.  I guess I'm not like everyone else, and I do believe these things are connected.
A related discussion, Thyroid Biopsy was started.
A related discussion, tounge was started.
A related discussion, should i proceed this treatment or not? was started.