Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Silent thyroiditis Recovery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Silent thyroiditis Recovery

Hi,

In january of 2007 i developed hyperthyroidism, i was 20.
Elite athlete  till that hit me. my TSH was .05 i believe when it started.
Iodine uptake came back close to zero, so i was diag with thyroiditis, silent because no pain.
The hyperthryoidism phase lasted a good 5 1/2 months (took propranlol all during that), followed by hypothyroidism that i have had since then, which was june.  My TSH was 16 when i initially dipped into hypothyroidism, they started me off on 25mcg and i made my way up to 100.
Okay now the QUESTION:

After almost a year of being on levothyroixine for hypothyroidism, my doc says i can try going off of it to see if my thryoid has recovered.  My first doctor said this would never happen, and i have read that 20% do not recover from silent thryoiditis.  My doctor said i could go cold turkey off of my meds.  I didn't do that out of fear, and started off may first taking 75 mcg, instead of my normal 100,  i did that for 2 weeks,   Now i have been taking 50 mcg for a week and i'm starting to feel fatigued and tired, could the 3 weeks of tapering down just now start hitting me, or does it take a while for the thyroid to start going on it's own again.

Is it my body adjusting to no meds? will it take a while for my thyroid to realize it needs to produce on it's own?  Should i just go straight off the meds now to jumpstart it or what?  Is this a sign that indeed i do need the meds?
Kinda feel doomed

by the way,  6 foot 3 inch,  210 lbs 21 years old

Hopefully i can get an MD on this one, i see they answer some times, i would really appreciate it, seeing that silent thyroiditis is one of the more rare thyroid conditions.