Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Slightly low TSH results....What does this mean for the future?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I recently took a slew of blood tests.  One of which was a TSH for the thyroid.  My doctor contacted me via mail with results stating the thyroid test results were slightly low.  Actual numbers are:  0.075uIU/mL.  My doctor wants me to re-test in 4 wks.
I originally went in to see him for swollen glands in my neck which I have had for more than 8 months.  After losing my mother to cancer, under very similar conditions, just two years ago, I felt like I owed it to myself to be checked out also.  I have pretty much, all of the symptoms of a thyroid disorder to one extreme or another.

My doctor also prescribed Keflex (in case I had an infection).  I have completed all doses of Keflex and no change so far.  My white cell count results did not indicate any infection, nor do I have mono.

What could all of this possibly mean?
The low TSH may mean an overactive thyroid - repeating it in 4 weeks is important to determine a trend. If overactive (ie persistent TSH <0.1) then I would consider treatment esp if you are above age 65 (which your username suggests....).  Prior to treatment would do an ultrasound and I-123 scan of the thyroid to make sure there is no suspicious nodule and to determine the source of over-activity.  I am not sure about the swollen glands -- it may be thyroid or other parts of the neck (ie lymph nodes or salivary glands) -- also some upper respiratory infections may aggravate the thyroid and cause a temporary overactivity -- another reason to determine the trend before committing to treatment.
A related discussion, Does this sound like cancer was started.
A related discussion, TSH result normal, but experiencing hyperthyroid symptoms was started.