Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Solid Throid Nodules.

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Solid Throid Nodules.

I recently had a sonogram that showed I have one small solid thyroid nodule on each thyroid and some fluid filled cysts on both. I am not at high risk for thyroid cancer according to my doctor. He asked if I wanted to have the solid ones biopsied now or recheck them again for any change in about 4 months? I'm asking your opinion about which I shoud do?
It really depends on what these nodules look like - a solid hypoechoic nodule more than 1cm in size is usually a good candidate for FNA biopsy.
Hi, I also have thyroid nodules. I have, I guess, a multinodular goiter?????  I have nodules that measure 1.2 x 0.9 x 0.8 cm and another at 8mm, and 5mm,and 6mm, and the radiologist said it was and "overall low" chance of it being cancer, and recommended watching it with scans every 6 months, which the Dr. agreed with.  Not so sure I feel OK with that decision, and I have and appt. with the Dr. in 3 weeks, to voice my concerns.  I just had surgery for hyperparathyroidism, and had 2 parathyroid glands removed, along with 2 lymp nodes, and everything looked OK, but I am still concerned. I am thinking to insist on a FNA biopsy.  Let me know what you are doing. Bella1950
Thank you for your info. It was helpful. I am going to get rechecked in Jan. and if they have grown then I will get them biopsied. I hope all goes well with you.
In 2008, I went to my doctor because I could feel a nodule in my neck. After several scans they sent me to a specialist where another scan was done.  He said the chances of this being cancer is 5%.  I decided to have the biopsy done and did turn out to be cancer. The doctor seemed surprised, I guess because of the small percentage but it's worth getting it checked out.  Now after having my thyroid removed, and some radiation - 2 1/2 years later, I am cancer free. I give God all the glory! I recommend highly that you get a biopsy done.  Your thyroid, for being very small, has a lot of functions and controls your hormones, metabolism among other things. If you have to have it removed, you might have a few challenges until they get you stabilized with the right regimen of medication.  Best of luck to you!
I had my Dr. appt., and he is waiting until March for the scan, and gave me the 5% number also.  Now I am worried.  Should I insist on a scan sooner?  My Endo, and Surgeon both have said "No scan until March"!  Bella1950
I too have had an ultra sound.  Most of left lobe occupied by large solid nodule and some small solid nodules as well as some extrathyroidal lymph nodes.  I have been A symptomatic - actually "textbook" plus a few extras, like lack of oxygen when I slouch or sleep on my stomach.  Now my voice has begun to crackle, there has always been a kind of crunching when I swallow.  I just thought everyone had that.
I could go on and on, but the docs never put all my complaining together.  Bone scan revealed severe osteoporosis, they gave me actenol, I am depressed, they gave me sertraline, I can't sleep, they gave me lunesta, I have thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, they sent me to a psychologist, I have complained that "my bones hurt", they gave me anti-inflamatory, I complained that I can't concentrate, I complained that I am forgetful, I complained that my joints hurt, I began having panick attacks,  they gave me zanax, I have had trouble with my vision, my retena's detached in both eyes, and I have had 7 eye surgeries in the past 3 year.  AND NOT ONE OF THE DOCTORS HAVE EVER NEVER CHECKED MY THYROID!!!!!  AND EVERY SYMPTOM I HAVE BEEN HAVING IS MOST PROBABLY FROM MY THYROID.
The impression on the ultra sound said:  Multindular goiter; Fine needle aspiration biopsy to be considered: Extrathyroidal nodule possibly parathyroid adenoma.  Guess what, my doctor received these results 3 days ago, and have not returned my call once!  I went online to TGA- Tap General Hospital - and actually watched a video on the surgery.  I suggest you do the same.  It will help you to make up your mind as to what you need to do, or if you need to get another doctor.  Because I certainly am.
scared to death!
Hyperparathyroidism can cause all the symtoms (symptoms) you are having.  I had many of the same, and actually ended up on some of the same meds. Now, after my surgery, for 2 parathyroid adenoma's, the symptoms are gone.  I take meds for my thyroid, but will still have to have the scans every 6 months. The surgeon took a look at the thyroid durning my surgery he said, and I guess did a biopsy, so that is why he said we can go the 6 months. What is your blood calcium level? Bella1950
I totally agree with Bella1950.  I also had your symptoms and some more and took a lot of the medications you are on and it took me THREE LONG  years until I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. My doctors would not agree that I had hyperparathyroidism and I self diagnosed and self referred to the clinic in Florida.   I also have Hashimotos and am on Synthroid.  Three months ago, I had WTWO parathyroid adenomas (benign tumors) removed and 90% of my symptoms have cleared up.  NO more medications except for the Synthroid. I will see my Endocrinologist this week to follow up with the thyroid nodules.  Even your ultrasound suggests PARAthyroid which most of us were not lucky enough to have had.  You may have thyroid issues but I will bet that the majority of your symptoms will be cured with the removal of one or more PARAthyroid adenomas.  Go to www.parathyroid.com for information and get your blood calcium levels checked.  Good luck!