Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Some question about the I131 treatment (Radioiodine therapy)

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

1) Is it possible that you may adjust the amount of I-131 to kill part of the gland (excessive parts) and keep others to maintain normal Thyroid Gland function? Or you just kill the entire gland and replace with medication. About the dosage of I131.
2) Is there difference between Asian and American for I131 treatment? For instance, the dosage.
3) Does I-131 radiation therapy cause untoward effect such as damaging spermary, affecting sex gland function and resulting in thyroid cancer?
4) It is said that the patients with exophthalmos (prominent eyes) should cautiously use radioactive I131 and surgical therapy. Is this correct?
5) Will the  prominent eyes be improved after radioiodine therapy?.
1- No, studies have found it is not possible to do this, so the usual goal (particularly for Graves) is to ablate the entire gland and replac with medication.

2 - No difference in the dosage, the asians treat less patients with I-131 than Americans

3 - there is little risk of cancer from I-131 radiation for hyperthyroidism, but there is some risk.  Would avoid conception for at least 3-4 months, but sperm banking not likely necessary.

4- Yes, if there is eye disease, this should be stabilized first.  And steroids should be given around the time of the I-131

5 - evenutually yes in most cases, but in some cases they get worse.
Perfect. I am grateful to you for the professional answers and suggestions. It is amazing to get the kind help from a expert like you here.

Thank you so much.