Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Suddenly Dizzy

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Suddenly Dizzy
I just found out that I have hyperthyroid and there is a lump in my neck in the front that can be felt and seen with an ultrasound.  I have an HMO with doctor's staffs that are  incredibly incompetent. They are not getting my referrals, and just too much to get into.

I am tired all the time even though I am on medication to slow the thyroid and medication to lower my heartbeat. But in the last 2 days, I have been incredibly dizzy. All I have to do is turn my head and I feel drunk and like I may throw up. Is dizziness a symptom? Do you think the lump (really ugly lump on the ultrasound) is this cancer? Is dizziness a symptom of that?  If not, I don't want to deal with the doctors anymore... they are stressing me out - they are that bad.
Sometimes thyroid problems can cause dizziness.  You should see an endocrinologist to evaluate the hyperthyroidism and the lump.  The dizziness may just need meclizine (or similar med) temporarily and hopefully will resolve (w/ or w/o treatment of thyroid) but if not, ENT evaluation of dizziness may be indicated.  Would keep pushing your HMO to get your treatment you need - good luck.