Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Swollen Ankles and Pain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Swollen Ankles and Pain

I recentley started having another new problem, my ankles start swelling after being on my feet awhile and hurt so back. Is this due to the thyroid or my meds?
I just recent. went up to 75mcg of synthroid
hydrocortisone 20 mg AM. 10 mg. PM
Lyrica 75mg New med I am on.
xanax .05 mg
Vitamin B12-C-Fishoil
Also I noticed on my labs from March my ferritin was a 37- What is that?
Iron was a 93
MM/HR westerngreen 7 What is this?

Thank You
Ferritin is a reflection of iron stores -- some would think that ferritin of 37 is low and that iron treatment is necessary.  

the other test result of 7 is normal (marker of inflammation).

Not sure why the feet hurt -- you need to work with your doctor to sort this out.  I know it is frustrating....
Just a friendly reminder that they have a limit of two questions every six months on the doctor's forums. This way more people can have an opportunity to ask questions.
Edema can be low T3. Or just not enough T3

Is your FreeT3 at the top of the range with your FreeT4? It really should be, or you are not converting enough T4 to t3.
Kit, Sorry bout that but I am in pain!!! :( :( :(

Cheshire, well I was wondering if something running low can cause it, my Doc doesnt want to test anymore blood till my surgery, i have to call tomorrow to make my preop appt. and see her again in a month. I recently went up on my synthroid to 75 from 50, would that make the T3 and T4 different? Did this happen to you?
I just had to quit taking Lyrica due to pain in my legs and swelling. My ankles were 3 times there size after 2 weeks on 150 mg 2x's a day. I quit taking it and my ankles are still slightly puffy, but you can see that I have them. My muscles still hurt and feel weak. I'm just not sure if that is from the Lyrica or the thyroid.
I only did a 7 day trial on that, i have been on neurotin and just started it agin.
You are taking synthetic T4. Your thyroid, if it were healthy, would be making T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcatonin. So my answer is yes, you are only supplementing a portion of what your body needs. T3 is the "ACTIVE" hormone, the one that makes every organ in your body function properly. T4 is the INACTIVE hormone, as for as we know, and is supposed to convert to T3 in your cells. The thyroid also makes direct T3 when it is healthy.

Many of us (millions more like it) do not feel well on synthroid and cause damage to our bodies by staying on it. I am taking 265 mgs of Armour thyroid because i was a mess on synthroid and had many hypo symptoms. In what city are you located and I'll see if i can search out a doctor who knows how to, and will, RX it for you?
Cortef has caused ankle swelling with me . . . . 20 seems high in am . .  I only take 3 .  . you may try lowering it a bit and see if that helps . .  check with doc . .  I can't believe he has not mentioned that.
best wishes,
Sue
I have told him and he doesnt think so, grrrrr what are you on it for? And how much a day?