Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Swollen lymph node and 'clicking' feeling when swallowing

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

When I swallow, it feels like I have swollen lymph nodes on the side of my voice box/thyroid area.  This has been going on for about a year.  I can also feel a 'click' when I swallow.  I have had a CT scan and an ultrasound on that area but nothing shows up other than the swollen lymph nodes.  Two ENT's I have been to just shake their heads and said come back if it isn't gone in a year.  Another doctor suggested it was my parathyroid gland and sent me to one of those ENTs.  I do have hypothyroidism and take Sythroid.  I also take Nazonex to keep my eustachian tube from closing.
If the thyroid is normal appearing on imaging, it is not likely the thyroid.

Swollen lymph nodes, IF near the espophagus, could cause the symptoms.

Unlikely parathyroid.

It may have something to do with sinus disease.  Also consider GI eval for reflux or other problem which effects swallowing.
Hi. I have the clicking when I swallow also. I have a feeling when i talk that something is pushing on the area where thyroid is, like a pebble or something. If I speak more than a cuople of sentences it feels raw there. I had a couple of scopes done, the ent said he didn't see anything. I had a lymph node taken a couple of weeks ago from the side of me neck that had been swollen for eight weeks, it came back benign. If you find anything out about your clicking, let me know. The ent said I may have an inflamed muscle, he couldn't tell. I asked him if that could cause the popping, he said, "potentially" and left the room. He is an *** and I wouldn't go back if it was free! So if you get any answers let me know please!!
A related discussion, Thyroid nodes was started.