Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Synthroid and High Cholestrol

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Synthroid and High Cholestrol

I have very high Cholestrol and can not take satin meds so my Doctor perscrided Welchol,,as qouted from the medication site below,,will this effecct my syntroid meds,,plus I do have a low Vitamin D level.

"Welchol has known interactions with glyburide (a drug for diabetes), levothyroxine (a drug used to treat an underactive thyroid)
Tell your doctor if you have vitamin A, D, E, or K deficiencies."

Tags: Welchol
Welchol needs to be separated from the thyroid medication by 4 hours -- so take thyroid med in am and welchol w/ lunch and dinner -- this works well in most cases.
While you wait for the dotor ot answer:

Like all the rest, foods/drinks (and coffee), vitamins, and other drugs, take Welchol hours away from your thyroid medication.
Welchol can make it harder for your body to absorb certain other medications, including levothyroxine/Synthroid. So as long as you take them both far apart from each other, you should be fine.

Low Vitamin D, did you tell the doctor?  Will you be taking supplements to build up your low V-D, I presume.  I take supplements of 2,500 V-D with 25,000 V-A, plus I am a sun worshiper or I should say the sun worships me. ;)  

Good Luck - Good Health!

GL,
Thyroid patient - comments are based on readings from medicals and not meant as a diagnose or treatment.

I had thought as so,,Plus my endo told me to take 800 a day on vit D but I take 1000, I take all my meds like multi vitamins at noon and D before sleep,,I take my synthroid at 6am and go back to sleep,Most of the time I always get eight solid hours of sleep but my internal clock wakes me to take meds, plus there are still lots of times I wake first thing nervous, so my zanax is in order, I was at 175mcg for a while but am slowly going back down to 137mcg because my numbers are to high in the free t4 1.9 even after the drop in dose, tsh has been as low as .88 and I felt awful,anxiaty though the roof. my tsh is 1.8 now and free t4 is 1.8 , feeling better but i think ill be dropping dose even more.
I had TT 30 years ago and never took meds for 25 of them,,my TSH was only 118 after all those years,,and no there is no glands left. Its been a long road for my body to get back to a state of right, or at least to a hormone leave that is man made,,like everybody hormone should programed to a scientist idea of the proper hormone,,Like my endo says Armour is out,,who to say the hormones were correct from the animal they were taken from,,Im sure there are pigs with poor thyroid functions aswell, just my point,
I am sure clinically and scientifically that Armour medication is examined appropriately to meet FDA standards in order to produce a hormone appropriately for human consumption
I agree with your point.

FDA has a wide window for human consumption. We don't know half of what is allowed in our foods and medications. They don't care what it takes, as long as it works. Plus drug companies are very powerful and influential. And slaughter houses!