Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Synthroid and other pills

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Synthroid and other pills

I have just been switched to synthroid after being on Armour Thryoid for 6 months. The Armour made me feel a little better but no weight loss and I am a personal trainer and competitive triathlete.
My question. You are supposed to take synthroid on an empty stomach. Can I at least drink my morning coffee? Am I supposed to take the whole 75mg at the same time?  
I take birth control pills, Mercette, how long do I wait to take it and I take a multi vitamin and a bunch of supplements how long do I have to wait to take them as well.

Take the supplements several hours after the synthroid -- usually I ask patients to take supplements at a different time of day from thyroid meds.  Coffee is fine & take the whole 75mcg at once.  The Mercette can be taken with the thyroid med -- it is not known to change absorption of the med.
Hi Becky,

You can post your question in the newsgroup alt.support.thyroid
and get a lot of answers there, but you can drink coffee with your thyroid meds. It's best to take them on an empty stomach and wait 1 to 2 hours before you eat. Some say 30 to 1 hour, it's up to you really, as the medicine needs time to be absorbed into your system.

When taking supplements wait at LEAST 4 hours after taking your synthroid to avoid interaction. Some people may wait longer or shorter, but I always wait at least 4 hours sometimes 6. I'm sure someone else will come along with more answers for you. Also you can check the website www.thyroid-info.com there is a wealth of information there.

Michelle
Hi Becky, i have my synthroid and a glass of water on my nightstand and take it every morning as soon as I wake up (usually between 5-6 a.m.). By the time I hit the snooze button a few times, take a shower and get dressed, at least an hour has passed and I can drink coffee and eat breakfast.
The timing works perfectly for me, but I'm sure there are other methods too.
There's a few strategies that work -- there's also the possbility of taking some of your meds  at night to avoid problems.  For thyroid meds, you need to not eat for at least two hours before, and an hour afterwards.

Meds with estrogen can interfere -- I'm not familiar with your birth control pill - probably because I'm near 60.

Isn't it great that you CAN drink your coffee!

If you've switched from Armour, you will find that it takes awhile to adjust to not having the T-3 in your system, as T-4 needs time to build up.

How long have you been on the Synthroid? how did you happen to switch from Armour? ~ Maureen
Thanks for everyone's comments.
Yes, I am very happy about the coffee. I will put my meds on my night stand. Great idea!

I have been on synthroid since Friday.
I changed docs and have been puzzled why if my T3 was tested low by the other doc, why he would put me on synthroid and then have my blood tested. I just think I need T3 as well.
I will say that I have felt different since Friday. The first day I was buzzin all day. I have been more energetic and have had more gas than usual.
I am very sad to hear that I cannot eat brocholli. It is my life! I eat it probably 4x a week.
You can eat Broccoli, just don't eat it raw and in large amounts. I still enjoy it from time to time. I felt the same way when I found out that I had to avoid Soy.
WOW
I was on 45 milligrams in the morn so what ever that computes to grains.
That computes to 200 miligrams to equal 3 grains

WOW!!
Just a little info:

60 milligrams = 1 grain
180 milligrams = 3 grains
Ok now I am feekin!
I just got on the scales and I have gained 2 lbs since I started synthroid on Friday
What happens if I don't wait an hour until I take my synthroid?  My Dr. said that twenty minutes was fine but what happens if I eat ten minutes after taking my 150 mg.

I've recently had a thyroidectomy and it went very smoothly and was given a clean bill of health as my cancer was only 3 mm.

Thanks!
Ok I got my test results back today and my TSH was 1.2 and my T3 was 183

So the switching of meds worked, hopefully, and I am so hoping I will continue to feel better and start losing this weight. Triathlon season is just around the corner and I don't want anyone to see me this big.
I have had a a thyroid problem for a couple of years. I have been going to my regular doctor for my blood test and any other things that needs to be done. It seems as if my condition is getting worse so a made an appointment with a specialist. Hopefully he can help me. I am not very educated on this so was woundering what are some things that I should be asking? Also I have gained over  50 pounds in the last 8 months because of this. Its really strang because I will gain 30 pounds then loose it within 2 months then I will gain it all back again. It is just is the same thing over and over again does anyone else have this problem? Iam taking Synthroid 150mg now and have been for quiet some time do not feel any diffrent. Also my legs at night cause me so much pain that I cannot sleep any solution? I dont think that my doctor that I have been going to for all thease years was treating my problem. Please give me stories and answers if you have any.
My thyroid levels are "normal" but I do have nodules and was placed on Synthroid 75mg for a trial period of 4 months, mainly to try to reduce nodules.  My question is, I have all the symptoms of thyroid dysfunction, although blood levels are fine, what else could this be?  Also, will taking synthroid help with weight loss?
what do you mean we can't eat brocolli and soy?
A related discussion, Armour thryoid was started.
A related discussion, what foods should I avoid with my hypothyroid was started.
A related discussion, Losing weight while taking Synthroid was started.
A related discussion, Coffee does appear to interfere with thyroid meds was started.