Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
T3 supplement

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

T3 supplement
I underwent thyroidectomy 2 months ago.  Do I only need T4, T3 and calcitonin supplement???  Thank you.
T4 therapy alone is typically all that we need.  Calcitonin supplementation is not needed.  The question of T3 is debatable and there is some evidence in patients who have undergone thyroidectomy, that combination T4-T3 therapy may be warranted but this is likely for the minority of situations (15-20% of patients).