Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TPO Results

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TPO Results
I just received my thyroid results and my TPO was 1950!!! My doc said to wait 6 weeks to see what happens and then I am to see an endrocronologist.  I am on levoyxl but has been only 8 weeks.  my level has gone from 3.5 to a 2.5.  Thankfully the doc requested the TPO test, otherwise it would look normal.  What are some of the symptoms of HIGH TPO.  I am jittery, sleepless, feel a bit "stare".  This is all new to me.  I have been border line hyper (in college) and now hypo at age 40.
High TPO in this setting means you have Hashimoto's -- the treatment is to address the hypothyroidism (relatively high TSH) -- with levoxyl (or similiar meds).
A related discussion, Normal TSH, Free T3, T4 HIGH TPO was started.