Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TPO antibodies

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TPO antibodies

free T3-6.5 free T4-15.4 TSH-0.9 TPO-347.4

Can you please enlighten me............... my GP tells me that my TPO antibodies arent high enough to be significant and arent the cause of my many symptoms. If normal range is below 40 according to my lab report what is classed as high or significant? Thanx for sharing your knowledge with a newbie!!
TPO is positive - this means auto-immune thyroid disease.  The TSH looks fine and I would hesitate to give thyroid hormone treatment at this point.  The F4/T3 seem high or high normal but it depends on the lab reference range (it varies from lab to lab).  Would follow thyroid function in about 2 months to get a trend and positive antibodies can also means inc'd risk for Graves (Hyperthyroidism), not just Hashimotos.
Its a long story but in a nutshell I am a 40yr old female from UK who for over a year now has been having symptoms including fatigue, inability to lose weight despite being a regular at the gym,brittle nails,being very cold all the time and dry itchy skin. I went to my GP who told me I was depressed and wanted to give me meds. I refused ! My symptoms seemed to get worse as the weather got colder but my GP wouldnt listen still even when I had an episode of feeling like I had a lump in my throat. I was so fed up I paid for my bloods tested privately and the results were as follows;
free T3-5.0 (2.1-6.0) free T4-9.7 (11.5-23.00) TSH-1.7 (0.4-4.0) TPO-228 (less than 60) ..... my GP still wasnt interested and my symptoms seemed to improve a little (or I got used to feeling that way!!!) so I did nothing else.
Then the last few weeks I have new symptoms which may not even be related; they are- feeling nervous,acid reflux, 'butterflies' in my chest but i still feel tired and cold most of the time with occasional hot episodes! I ve just paid to have bloods done again and they are as follows;ranges as before.
Thanx for listening!!
Thanx for comments and support.Extremely useful and informative.It helps to know Im not on my own.All I need to do now is keep trying to get a Dr to listen to me also..... not an easy task!
Thanx Again Im very grateful.
Desperate for help!  I have sever hives and believe they are being caused by hashimoto's thyroiditis.  I had a blood test several weeks ago that showed my TSH was very high and tested hight for Thyroid Peroxidase.  Meanwhile, no doctor has ever told me that I have thyroiditis - just hypothyroid.  In fact, I had grave's disease first, and now have radiation-induced hypothyroidism.  After my blood test (issued by the allergist), my endo increased my synthroid from 75 to 150 and I started to get relief, in fact, was experiencing hyperthyroid symptoms.  I Called my doctor, and his secretary was relaying information back and forth that basically I was imaging my sypmtoms b/c it could take 6 weeks for the hormone levels to adjust.  I insisted on taking another blood test two weeks later b/c my hives have gotten worse and I wanted to know if I was at least improving.  I got the results yesterday and was told that all my T3, T4, and TSH levels were now normal.  Dropped from 24.3 TSH on April 16th to 1.9 TSH on May 2.  What I don't understand is why my doctor didn't retest my peroxidase levels.  Some background information: I have lots of experience with allergies, hives, etc.  I cannot deduce a logical explanation for my hives other than the thyroid.  When I was diagnosed with grave's diseas 2 years ago - I was covered in hives and ended up in the hospital with a pre-storming condition.  It would make sense to me that if I'm suddenly experiencing extremely intense hives all over my body and know that my thyroid levels are off..... wouldn't that make sense.  Is it possible that my thyroid perxidase are still extremely high, attacking my thryoid, even though my TSH / T4 / T3 levels are now better than normal?  HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE SEVERE HIVES WITH THEIR THYROID CONDITION.  I'm on my 5th week of hives and high levels of prednizone are barely containing them.
A related discussion, Hives was started.
A related discussion, TPO was started.
A related discussion, high tpo antibody was started.