Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH 5.132

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TSH 5.132

Went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago. Complaint is being spaced out frequently, and fatigue as well as feeling detached from life. He done blood panel and TSH was 5.132. I was told that this was high and sign of under active thyroid. Waiting on result of T4 test. This spaced out feeling has been going on for over a year and was so prevalent that I knew this wasn’t normal for me. Would sleep like a rock and wake feeling like I had cob webs in the brain that was difficult to shake. Memory recall was terrible and things that were usually easy for me became mentally was overwhelming, it was like someone poured molasses in my brain. Coffee doesn’t even help.  I’m 46 and a delivery driver, and my job subjects me to stress of time and physical activity in the elements of cold and heat. I have worked out for over ten years and during that time I was physically strong and vibrant, and my mind, fired on all cylinders. 4 years ago I went through a personal event that, led to sleep disturbance and emotional rollercoaster, got perspective and a handle on this and returned to a sense of normalcy, 2 years ago had a tragic loss of family member and this really threw my world out of balance. During this time sleep disturbance ensued, had some sinus issues that came to a head which resulted in two sinus surgeries. Its seems after these events, the brain fog became prevalent. I don’t know if the stress of these events, pushed a mild thyroid situation over the brink. I am hopeful that if I begin a synthetic thyroid hormone therapy, that over time the fog will dissipate, and the athletic, fun loving, energetic person will return. My sense of smell and taste have been affected and experience, light headedness(dizziness), when full blown fog and fatigue has set it, has anyone else experienced similar problems with high TSH readings?
This is a slightly high TSH. Usually we repeat it in 5-6 weeks along with TPO antibody.  If still high then it's mild hypothyroidism which could potentially cause your symptoms.  The antibody test is to see if this is autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) which may have been unmasked by the rescent significant life stressors.