Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH LEVEL OF 24 FOUR WEEKS AGO AND 1.3 THIS WEEK

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Abount a month i was tested and was told my TSH was 24.  GP retested this week and I my TSH was 1/3.  I have been on Levo for four weeks.  Can this med have had such a dramatic effect in so short a time?  I started on 50mg for four weeks and just went up to 100mg last weekend.  I have all the symptoms of being HYPO and even though I had a good blood test last week, I do not feel any better.  Aches, insomnia, exhaustion, sweats, inability to focus, forgetting simple things, tightness in the chest, tingling in the fingers, etc.  I have a very demanding job (50 to 60 hours per week) and am finding it difficult to drag myself to work every day.  If my TSH level is down to a normal range, shouldn't all these symptoms be gone?  

If the TSH is appropriate -- around 1 -- then it may take 1-2 months for all the symptoms to improve.  If you just went to 100mcg 5-6 days ago, then the recent TSH mostly reflects the 3-4 weeks of 50mcg, and if it is 1.3 it appears that 100mcg may prove to be too much for you.

The symptoms are mixed, so the labs will be the best way to judge over time.

vads, I'm not the doctor, but I was told my several once your TSH is normal it can take quite some time for our symptms to go away , each day the body moves a little more towards normal (healing)... hope this helps while you're waiting for the MD to reply.
A related discussion, Need Help was started.