Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH Level too high!

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TSH Level too high!

I just got a call from my dr (family physician) that my TSH level was very abnormal and way off the chart.  It was 9.18   Two years ago I had the rest of the my thyroid removed.  The first half was removed in 1991.  My readings these past few months have been .28, 7.82 and now this 9.18, so I have not talked to him yet since I got told this from a voice mail, but it is freaking me out.  I never had bad levels in the past and the reason I had my thyroid removed was due to a benign goiter and "grossly enlarged" gland.  So just need to hear from you to see if this is treatable.  I will followup with my dr on Monday to see what he recommends.  Thanks for your help.  
you have hypothyroidism.  You will need treatment given the increasing TSH.  Levothyroxine therapy is indicated.
Thanks for answering.  Do you think this can be treated/controlled with med. adjustments?  and how long would it take?  I will go to the Endo Dr. tomorrow but thought I would check with you too.  Currently I am feeling sluggish and my face/cheeks feel like they have a slight burning feeling along with my eyes?  Also should thyroid meds be taken in morning before breakfast??  I have been taking them at night close to eating time but not sure if it matter one way or another?  Thanks again for your help.. :o)
Hypothyroid can be controlled with meds.

It usually takes 4-6 weeks to start feeling better with adjustments, but can take a few months.

Your symptoms could be thyroid related.

Most people take their thyroid meds about 30 minutes before breakfast.  However, it doesn't really matter as long as you always take them consistently about the same time and under the same conditions.  

Food can interfere with absorption of the drug.  So if you change how / when you take your med, you may have to retest your levels and adjust.

Hope this helps.

S
Thanks for the advice.  I have switched to taking the med in morning before food, coffee, etc.  It is just weird that I have been on synthyroid for over 15 years and my levels are just now getting out of whack. Although just two years ago I had the rest of my thyroid removed so that could be a factor.  But I have a great Endo Dr now and he basicallysaid the same as you...I will be having a recheck in the end of Dec, but he said this all can be fixed just have to critque the meds.  Thanks again and happy holidays!!  :o)