Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH Scores

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TSH Scores
In 2010 my TSH score was 2.76.  The end of 2012 it was 4.36.  Is this normal?  To jump so high in a matter of 2 years?  My regular Doctor didn't see any alarm and didn't want to treat it.  I went back today and had blood drawn for the test again.  I don't have the results yet....isn't 4.36 too high?  I have many symptoms that I discussed with the Doctor, yet it almost seemed as if she was just blowing it off as nothing.  Doesn't seem like nothing to me...
This is not a big change, but may need monitoring to confirm it does not increase significantly further.  We don't automatically treat these levels, but if continues to increase or you have symptoms (as you mention), seeing if this is Hashimoto's (check TPO antibody) may be appropriate.