Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH high for son of 8 weeks
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

TSH high for son of 8 weeks

Hello Doctor,

The table given below is the Thyroid, Bilirubin test results of my 50days old new born son. He had a prolonged jaundice after his birth which had Bilirubin level over 13.5. The doctor suggested a Thyroid test to find the cause for prolonged jaundice after 5 weeks. Now he has confirmed that the TSH is the cause for this. He has given a prescription to my son. That is lthyroxine.

It would be very greatful if you can let me know this prescription could help my son to have a normal life. Should he undergo any other tests. Will he be fine after a course of time. This is worrisome for myself, my wife and for my family. Is this a complication which will be all thro his life. Will it affect any of his features. Please advice.

Thanks,
Antony

Thyroid Profile

Test                                                                               Result      Reference
Serum Tri-lodo Thyronine(T3)(CLIA)                                  158ng/dl      87-178
Serum Thyroxine/T4 (CLIA):                                          6.2 µgm/dl      6.09-12.23
Serum Thyroid Stimulating Hormone – TSH(CLIA)           15.9 µlU/dl      0.34-5.6
Serum Free T4(CLIA):                                                    1.1ng/dl         0.58-1.64

Billirubin

Test                                                                  Result           Reference
Bilirubin Total (Diazo)                                          8.3 mg/dl       0.2-1.1
Bilirubin Direct (Diazo)                                         0.6 mg/dl       0.2-0.6
Bilirubin (Indirect)                                                7.7 mg/dl       0.3-0.5