Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH levels post thyroidectomy for cancer

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Had a complete throidectomy 15 years ago. Follicular and pappilary cancer. My TSh levels have been .0 to .1 up until this week. Will see the doc next week but he says the cancer has probably returned as my TSH is up to 4.1. Can anyone explain how this works?? Of course I am VERY nervous, but interested in whynthe levels are going up. He says my liver counts are also up.
There is no reason to think the cancer is back b/c of a rise in TSH.  Now, if the Tg (thyroglobulin) is on the rise, this is a different story.  Most likely, the increase in TSH is due to an issue with absorption or metabolism of your thyroid medication OR change to generic OR interaction with another med.
Maybe he did say throglobulin. I was soooo nervous. He did think the cancer may be back though.
I don't know anything about this, but I wanted to touch base with you.  I am just now going through the same thing you went through 15 years ago.  I has my thyroid out and had papillary and follicular cancers.  Any advice for the road ahead?
I too am in the same boat.  I had a total thyroidectomy 18.5 years ago!! ---when I was 5 months pregnant!  My thyroglobulin has been undetectable for years....until 3 years ago when it began a slow rise...4, then 7, now 14.  On top of that my TSH is high as well.  I have a follow up appointment on 9-5 to find out what the next step will be. Good luck to you !!
A related discussion, Sudden raised TSH was started.