Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH test and pheochromacytoma

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TSH test and pheochromacytoma
My daughter (who is 19) was recently diagnosed with a possible pheo tumor. She was diagnosed as epileptic a year ago, and recently has had a few occurrences of high blood pressure (200/120 was the highest). I understand the 24-hr urine collection test for the correct hormones, but I don't understand why her primary wants to test her thyroid.  Is there a connection between the two that I am missing? She was just given this possible diagnosis Thursday, so she has not yet gone for the blood work. Any info you may have would be great. Thank you.
There is typically not a connection between pheochromocytoma and thyroid function.  24-hour urine testing for metanephrines and catecholamines are the usual workup for pheochromocytoma.  TSH blood testing is the most common initial thyroid function tests.